Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Losing Weight and Gaining Good Phat

If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time you know about my struggle to find a workout program that I can stick to and is actually effective for losing weight. I blogged a while ago about my intention to spend my lunch hour dancing around my office all alone every day.

And you want to hear something awesome? I’m not only enjoying using dancing as a cardio workout, because the options for songs to dance to are endless, but after only thirteen days of doing my new overall workout routine I’m down three pounds!

Woo hoo!

This is a huge accomplishment as far as I’m concerned for a few reasons:

  • I’m almost 40 years old
  • I’m female
  • I’m a desk jockey from 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM all week long
  • I’m pretty freaking lazy the rest of the time

Each of those above reasons are facts so that means it’s harder to lose weight. But screw it if anyone thinks little things like that could stop me from getting my body back. It’s so on.

The thing is, I’m completely comfortable with my shape. The shape that exists underneath all these rolls that is. I’m curvy, I’ve got a healthy sized badonkadonk for a petite little Irish girl, and my hips never caught up to the fact that I’m not planning to have kids. Stupid nature doing whatever it wants.

Anyway, by this age I’ve learned to accept these certain facts about myself and I generally like the curves.

But they don’t have to be jiggly on the outside of the underlying shape. So when I saw that my fitness and nutrition plan was working it really made me want to stand up and dance!

Pun intended.

The thing I didn’t anticipate happening with all of this exercise was the side benefit of getting my body right. I’m so much clearer in my head. I’m more focused on my work, on whatever task it is I’m trying to complete actually, and it’s starting to produce results in my efforts of entrepreneurship.

All because I’m swimming three times a week, riding my stationary bike 5 miles a day three days a week & spending 30-45 minutes club-style dancing five days a week?

Hell if all it takes to keep me focused and driven is a collective hour a day of moving my body around then consider me a fitness nut.

I’m in. I’m all in matter of fact. This body will be in a bikini again by next summer and will be so toned that I want people saying shit like ‘Wait, you’re 41 years old? Bitch, I hate you.’

Yup, kinda like the sound of that.

• • • • • • • • • • •
Published in multiple print and online sources, Author, Blogger and Freelance Writer Jenn Flynn-Shon has been writing for publication since 2001. Follow her antics on twitter @jennshon

10 comments:

JudisJems said...

Good for you, that's wonderful news.
Love you, Mum

Launna said...

Congratulations Jenn... I am stealing this idea, I love dancing and I love music... I can do this in the morning before I go to work... get me going for the day... I remember you mentioning it and I thought it was a great idea... now I am taking note :)

Almost Precious said...

Sounds like you've discovered a plan that works for you. You go-girl. :)
I used to love to dance (my hubs isn't into it). Now that he's retired and around the house most of the time I find I no longer put music on and dance just to be dancing. Bummer. I love him dearly but it is so true what they say about retirement: "Half as much money - Twice as much husband." :D

Joan said...

Yes, I know what you mean about just wanting to be toned. I tell myself all the time, that yes I feel better mentally when I exercise, so why can't I make myself do it more. You may inspire me Jenn. :)

Jak said...

Hmm a nice badonkadonk is a great asset to have! ;-)

I think I've said before how hard it can be to actually lose weight when already in a healthy range (even if... "jiggly"). Congrats on losing those pounds! The dancing is shaping up nicely it seems. Still think you should open the lunch hour club to the public for some extra $$$!

I have so far to go I kind of feel like saying to hell with it more often than not.

Looking forward to bikini pics! >.>

dun Dun DUN!

Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Thanks! ♥

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

That was my initial thought too Launna but it seemed to start working better if I went with it at lunch. Who am I to argue with the natural rhythms? lol

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

So far so good but I'm really more down to one or 2 days a week now with the dancing. I'm feeling inspired to get back now though responding to everyone's comments!

LOL! Remind me never to let Matt retire ;-)

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

That's exactly it, feeling mentally better through sweat. I love how I feel after but am SO LAZY about doing it...

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I think that's the problem now. If I were 100 pounds overweight I'd seem like it was dropping faster because a lot of water would go with the fat in the first half of the plan. But I only want to lose about 20 total. Always the toughest to lose those!

Trust me, no one is looking forward to looking at bikini pics (and being happy to see them for the first time in a decade) more than me lol