Friday, May 10, 2013

(Re) Run Back in Time

As soon as today’s song started playing I knew this post was going to be a re-run. The album Ten by Pearl Jam came out in the summer of 1991, just after I graduated high school and long before I started college. Though if I’d gone away to college that fall like most of my friends had I’m sure I would have taken a shine to the album a lot sooner. I was still shedding myself of my pop princess roots and hadn’t yet jumped into the grunge pool.

Sometime over the following eighteen months I started listening to the album and in June of 1993 when I moved in with Keith on Williams Street it became a regular album in our (widely varied musical taste) rotation.

There are very few songs on Ten that don’t remind me of this time in my life at my place on Williams Street – the poo brown wall-to-wall carpet, the tub that always backed up, the cool little niche where Keith had his desk, our hand-me-down living room furniture, the party where Michelle sang and that Keith tape recorded the entire night (which I still have somewhere, believe it!), those flowered curtains in the kitchen. But I’ve already written a pretty great post about those days.

Just click on over to Williams Street for the full story.

May’s Month of Music
Jeremy – Pearl Jam (Pandora first track)

9 comments:

Launna said...

Isn't it wonderful when a song can bring back so many memories... I love music for that very same reason... ;)

Almost Precious said...

Music has some sort of magic that imprints itself and the moment into our memories.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Pearl Jam... I loved that album. Got the cassette as a birthday gift along with two others. I can still remember slow dancing to 'Black' in 7th grade. Good times.

p.s. way to go Bruins! How happy are you right now? Whew! Of course I dread any and all Boston-NY match-ups. They beat us in baseball, football, basketball... ugh. You know what? I'm not even gonna watch. Just let me know how it ends, kay?

Jak said...

I love how music can trigger certain memories. Not sure about those poo brown carpets and flowered curtains, though!

That's a good album, and Pearl Jam a sweet band in general, but I only caught bits and pieces of things released after that. Usually radio songs, which sometimes aren't the best on a CD, all depending.

Praise your entry into the grunge pool!

I'll have to check out the "full" story :)

Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Just about every song brings back some kind of memory for me. Love me some music!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Yes, absolutely 100% true!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Ah cassettes...the good old days when you could make a mixed tape and use it as a device to get to know someone, or have them get to know you. Music and the relevance it had in social groups really shaped my growing years. I'm not sure its like that for kids today.

MY GOD that game 7 was a freaking nail biter! Great finish to the series though. Bring on the Rangers! Hey...thought you weren't even watching hockey anymore? Just couldn't stay away huh? heehee

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Oh we never minded the carpet or flowered curtains. In fact I barely even noticed the decor, it wasn't as important as the overall vibe in that place. And we had such a great time!

Yeah I bought PJ albums all the way through Vitalogy but once they released that Last Kiss cover I pretty much abandoned them until Backspacer was released a couple years ago. And that album is good but nothing will ever match the memories associated with Ten.

Anonymous said...

I think you're right; technology has made everyone more isolated. Sure you can download music in an instant but where's the fun in that? Buying music used to be an experience. Now everything is the same interface, and it's rarely a social thing.

And it's hard not to catch a highlight or score when the rest of my family still (stubbornly) cares about hockey. We still aren't on speaking terms, but I've been told she's doing well. If Boston beats NY that would be a decent make-up gesture, I think ;-)