Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ride that Zamboni Right into the Playoffs Boston Bruins!

Despite the lockout that happened forcing all of us hockey fans into a world free of pucks and checks for a few months, I’m still a fan. For a few weeks I wondered if I’d get back into it again, if I’d be able to forgive all the crap that happened on both sides. In the end I decided I’m not in it for the money, I don’t fall on either side. I’m just a fan.

I like to watch the guys skate, I like to see what trades happen and who does well on what team and I like the thrill of the rush to the Stanley Cup. What they decide about contracts and all the other hoopla that comes with professional sports these days is not of any concern to me as a spectator. Not really.

So I stuck through the season and they were 40+ of the best games I’ve watched because every single one was like watching the playoffs. Teams for the most part brought their A game just about every night and it was high energy watching it unfold.

Being in Phoenix now we have the Coyotes to root for and I do like to see them do well because I’m a supporter of hockey in the desert. Rink rats and desert rats aren’t really that different. Sadly the playoff hopes for the Coyotes went down the drain in this short season. I just hope it doesn’t get them bought by someone who plans to move them to Canada. We have plenty of Canadian snowbirds here in the Valley, keep the ‘Yotes here and fill the seats!

But my real team of course is the Bruins. They only have a couple games left as I write this post on Friday afternoon. By the time this posts on Tuesday I’ll already know who took the top spot in our division – Boston or Montreal (Update: Stupid Bruins not getting it done!). Since the Habs finished just about dead-last one year ago, I have to scratch my head how they could’ve turned it around so fast this season.

Well, they did sweep the B’s. Much to my chagrin. And the chagrin of the entirety of Bruins Nation.

But by the time this posts, all of that regular season drama will be over and the playoffs will begin in short order for everyone. And most of the injured B’s are back in full force now. Watch out, here we come.

When the Cup Finals finally wrap up its likely going to be in the 110’s around here. I guess it’s just as well the Coyotes are out this season. Water skiing is tough wearing all that padding and the Zamboni wouldn't do as well on Lake Jobing.com Arena.

Posted for April 2013 A to Z Blog Challenge Z is for Zamboni

12 comments:

Kathe W. said...

oh hahah I can just see ice hockey in the summer! Have a great day!

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Congrats on completing the A to Z challenge! I am glad you made it!

I'll have to come back and read some more in May.

--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side and

The Witch

Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
The Freedom of Nonbelief

Launna said...

Good luck for your team Jenn, I don't follow hockey... sorry.. ;)

Rob-bear said...

Good news, Jenn: the Bruins are in the playoffs!

More good news: Bruins are up against Toronto in the first round of the playoffs. Toronto will beat them in six (or less). What do you mean, you didn't know I was a Leaf's fan. How could I be from Toronto and not be A Leaf's fan? Toronto hasn't won the Stanley Cup since — wait for it — 1967! It's about time; its our turn this year. We'll take the cup this year, and next year nobody will call us the Toronto Maple Laughs.

TW: In February, what happens when you cross a Toronto Maple leaf with a groundhog? Six more weeks of bad hockey!

It's been great visiting with you during the A-Z Challenge, Fran.You've done it all! I hope to see you again, soon. After the cup finals, perhaps?

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

Jak said...

I am clueless with most sports, so this was mostly lost to me lol I never used to mind watching Hockey or Football, though. As for other sports... eh...

I hope you get some good hockey games to spectate. I caught little blips/recaps today, of current games, when at the gym.

Congratulations on completing the A to Z Challenge! I'm really glad to have met you during this event! I will have to read about your labors of love and command center posts now that I should have a bit more time.

*hug*

Looking forward to future posts!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

With this shortened season it will be tough to keep the ice frozen as playoffs/finals roll into June!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Thanks for stopping by Tim! I had fun with this challenge this month. How did you do?

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

No worries, I know hockey isn't everyone's cup of tea. Or a more apt analogy might be that hockey isn't everyone's pint of beer :-)

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Well you know (as a fellow hockey fan) that there is a rabid loyalty among teams and fans. So in no universe could you catch me agreeing that the Leafs should win the Cup. I will always think the B's should win the Cup (when earned and those boys skated their asses off this season, it was earned). Black & gold forever in this house.

I will say this though, if by some chance Toronto happens to skate around us (something they couldn't do during the regular season, just sayin', but playoffs are a whole new slate, I get it) then I will cheer for them thereafter. Game on starting tonight!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Hockey and football are my top two. Nothing else really holds my interest long enough for me to want to invest time to understand the game. And playoff hockey is the most exciting of all.

I have enjoyed getting to know you through your blog during A-Z too, Jak! It's always awesome to make a new bloggy friend. Catch you here or at your space! (hugs)

Rob-bear said...

Here's to te boys in Beantown showing up ready to play!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

That was a heck of a game indeed! I usually chat during games with my Aunt (of "Inspiration for Ripple the Twine" fame over on my sidebar <--) and I said to her we better be ready again on Saturday because the Leafs are going to come back at us hard after that loss!