Monday, January 23, 2012

Terrifying. Exhilarating. Expensive.

Some of you know I started a new blog called Writesy. It is connected to my new Etsy shop of the same name and in that shop I’m selling all kinds of fun wordy bits. There’s my chapbook titled Trying for the Moon, a Mini-Zine series, and now I’m planning to add to the collection with my first self-published fiction novel titled Ripple the Twine.

Yes people that’s right, I’m giving up the hunt for a big House and I’m moving into the mid-sized House of my own. Time to spruce up the old walls up and bring this project back to life. And I’m doing it myself. Could I be more excited and petrified right now? The answer is no. No I couldn't.

This is my first manuscript, most of you over the past two years, since it was completed, and the five or so months prior to that while it was being written, heard a LOT about it over here. Well I stopped talking about it all the time but I never stopped querying. Twenty-six total Agents queried, bet you can guess the number of rejections right?

Sure twenty-six isn’t the hugest number, maybe I could keep going, but this book ain’t selling itself once we’re out of hockey season. Hello? One of the most prominent character traits is my female main character is a lover of the Boston Bruins.

You know, Boston Bruins? Just gained number one in the Eastern Conference with the win over Philly yesterday? Yeah I know, most New Englanders were watching that other team who now has to come face to face with Manning in two weeks. No, no. The OTHER Manning. That’s why it’s so weird that Brady can’t just pull it together in his presence.

But I digress…

As I was saying about the book, she loves the sport of hockey. Hell, doing research for her character back in 2009 completely revived my own interest in hockey! I hadn’t really been into the sport since the Neely, Sweeney, Axelsson days but having to learn all the new rules and going to games (READ: doing research) I was all about it again!

No sooner did my book come to pass than the Bruins went and won the Stanley Cup for the first time in my lifetime. Um, hello? Gods of fate, much? And I don’t make predictions only half way into the season but they sure look well positioned to at least give that idea another run this season.

Must. Publish. Book!

So here’s the deal, I wrote a whole post about Ripple the Twine over on the aforementioned Writesy blog. I’d love for you to check it out and let me know what you think!

Putting Money Where My Manuscript Is

And now, to learn all the ins and outs of the world of books…and to find a way to pay for it all. Innovation here we come!

5 comments:

#1Nana said...

Heading over there now...

Rosebud Collection said...

Will be checking it out..Keep at it Jenn..
The weather here isn't bad today..in the 40ies..Would you believe the old furnace went out yesterday? Course why wouldn't you believe it..you know my love for being cold..ha,ha...
Glad you are doing well..
About a Jelly bag..you can use cheesecloth to catch all the pulp and squeeze the juice out..most let it drain..but I am impatient and so my jelly isn't that clear..taste good..Take care my friend..sending you love from Maine..Carolyn

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, congrats on getting your book out there! I don't know if promoting/publishing is harder than writing the book itself, but it sounds like a monumental task. I admire your commitment and I'm definitely going to check out your book in the near future.

Your comment made my day! It was exactly what I needed to hear since I've been stuck in writing limbo. I've been asking myself all week "what now?" and now I know. So thanks for that! :)

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Thanks Jann, let me know what you think!

Carolyn oh no! I hope it didn't take long to have the new one installed?? Thanks for the info on the jelly bag, who knew! When we move into a place that's permanent I'm going to start doing a lot more cooking & stuff like this. Stay warm up there my friend!

I#4 Yes the publishing side is definitely a lot to learn but going POD will help in that sense. I have to register my own House (which admittedly is kind of cool!) & buy ISBN's...and that's as far as my research goes for the moment Ha! So happy to help you push on, sometimes we just have to help each other remember what we really love doing no matter how challenging it can be.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited!