Monday, April 13, 2009

Just when I think its Safe to go back in the Water…

Back in 1986 the movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off hit the theaters. For those not in the know, the movie is about a witty, resourceful, high school senior who decides to fake illness so he can skip school one lovely sunny day and then all the events that unfold after he convinces his best friend and girlfriend to join him. The three end up seeing a baseball game, eating in a fine restaurant, taking part in a parade, visiting an art museum, swimming in a pool and driving all over Chicago in a 1961 250 GT California Spyder Ferrari -- the single prize possession of his best friend’s dad. As was typical in 1980’s comedies the sub plots tended to weave in and out of the main plot, hijinx ensue and the main character comes out not only winning but winning everyone over in the end. Just before those end credits roll though, the title character utters the line:

“Yup, life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Whenever I have a super busy week like the last few have been I try to keep this line in mind because it’s true that sometimes I allow things to fly by me in the blink of an eye and I do not put on the brakes to see just how awesome they really are while I am experiencing them.

One thing I have been busy with over the past month or so has definitely been work; it is Murphy’s Law that the moment I start getting into a groove with something another thing comes along to make itself more important. I have really been throwing myself into writing, so it is only logical that I would suddenly get hired to paint an entire floor’s worth of trim and doors and start doing a little more organizing for my favorite Accountant right? It makes me chuckle.

The thing about working jobs like that is I am at least out and about; I like writing and working from home but at times the self imposed semi-isolation can be a bit stifling for the creativity vibe. Getting out into the world allows me plenty of opportunities to experience so many things that make life great.


Catching up in a really meaningful way with a best friend.
Celebrating a milestone birthday with my Aunt and family.
Seeing how happy Matt is after riding his new bike for the first time.
How cool it is to have a baby smile at you.
Meeting new people and sharing lots of laughs and great food.
Daffodills sprouting down the entire 100 foot length of my Dad’s driveway.
The fun of hanging out with two 6 year olds and a 2 year old for an entire day.
How nice it is to see sunshine after what felt like weeks of rain.
The amazing power of laughter through tears.



In the movie, Ferris and his friends only got one day, but I am lucky enough to have everyday to slow down and open my eyes to the fast paced world around me if I let myself; I love that all my sub-plots weave themselves into one big life. Yup, it is pretty great indeed.

9 comments:

Dave King said...

Great pic, the composition is just right, with the chain, the buoy (is it?) and the bows of the boat.

Suldog said...

Every time I stop to count my blessings, I find that I don't really have enough time to list them all before another one pops up to be added. You seem to realize this same truth in your own life. That, of course, is the greatest blessing of all.

Chris said...

Very poignant thinking there, Jenn. I certainly hope you stopped to eat pancreas for lunch, posing as Abe Frommen, the Sausage King of Chicago.

TheresaJ said...

So well written, Jenn, and very sage advice.

spottedwolf said...

Ja gurl, don tel no lie....dere's a nat'ral mystic goin' tru de air........

luv de boat Ja....

jus started on de board ting darlin'....long long time ago

Ja it be takin' a big big 1 to float me fat carcass now...<;-)

Rosebud Collection said...

Wonderful blog..Every time things go wrong for me, I realize how wonderful life has been and to count my blessings..

Judi FitzPatrick said...

So true, and you said it masterfully. Love the pics, too.
Love you, Mum

spottedwolf said...

Mornin' Jenn and Matt.......its a damn good day to be alive ain't it?

I'm listenin' to Dylans song "for Woody" about Woody Guthrie and we're off to town for flapjacks....yum yum yum !!!

Rosebud Collection said...

Hey, where are you? I keep checking your blog..bet you are enjoying the weather. Even the rain today, looks good, after the winter we had..